Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Serenity Now!

I am still on the hunt for a yoga studio that I get a good vibe from that will let me bring Hazel to class with me.  I'm not sure why it's so difficult.  Maybe I am too picky.

I have been using the calm.com app, which I really like.  In fact, today was a truly crazy day at work, and during my grade level collaboration I took one look at everyone's faces, listened to a few comments, and realized they were all feeling as stressed as I was.  So naturally, I busted out my app and did a quick little 2-minute guided meditation with the group.

I don't know what my principal would have said if she had walked in on us at that moment.  Four adults, sitting at a table in a third grade classroom, eyes closed, listening to the gentle sound of waves, and a soothing female voice instructing us to "be aware of yourself and your place in the world".  Maybe she would have joined us?  All I know is that after the meditation session we were able to get back on track and have a productive meeting.

I think I'm going to project it up on my screen and have my class meditate tomorrow.  As difficult and stressful as it has been for me, it has been just as hard for my kids.  I think they'll enjoy it, and hopefully, it will help them refocus on learning.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to download the calm.com app. I really like how you were able to refocus after the 2 minute mediation. I'm finding myself so all over the place trying to balance so many new roles, new teacher and new grad student, I think yoga/meditation would help me slow down and take all these new experiences in and not allow it to be so draining.

    I have also considered trying hot yoga, I think now, in the mindset of this life change, is a good time to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, I am so proud of your perseverance to find this yoga studio!
    Maybe if you can't find a good yoga studio, you could get a yoga video to do at home with Hazel. I have an old pilates DVD if you want to borrow it. I still pull it out once a summer when I get inspired but am too cheap to go to a class. It's no yoga, but it's got some similarities.

    ReplyDelete