Saturday, October 10, 2015

Diving Back In

I took a break from yoga for a few weeks.  I came down with a nasty bug that held on for almost 2 weeks and somehow attempting to hack up a lung during restorative yoga (aka group nap time) didn't sound like a successful idea.

So, in order to continue my pursuit of learning new things I decided to put my money where my mouth is and check out some guided meditation sites.  I found one site that listed/reviewed their choice for the 12 best meditation sites.  It was very helpful for a complete novice like me because it gave extremely helpful information in a clear, concise manner.  If anyone else is interested in looking into meditation here's the link -  http://herohealthroom.com/2014/12/08/free-guided-meditation-resources/

I looked at many of the sites listed, but the one that I settled on is calm.com.  Right away it soothed me.  I had to wait for a while (30 seconds to a minute) for the page to load, but they designed the page to make it a non-stressful experience.  Here's a screen shot:



Imagine the blue dot gently circling at a very relaxed pace.  See, I said it was soothing.  Once the page loaded this is what I saw:



I liked the way it was set up.  It was simple and non-intimidating for the completely inexperienced, and gave choices like how long I wanted to meditate for, if I wanted silence or guided, and what background picture I wanted.  It also had a free app I could download on my phone so that I could meditate (or try to at least) from where ever I was.

I started with 5 minutes, chose the guided option (because I have no idea what I'm doing) and kept this serene image and clicked start.  I really worked to clear my mind but I'm not very good at it yet. Just another thing I'll have to keep at and learn.

Tomorrow I go back to my yoga class.  Super excited about that.  Especially since my older daughter, Hazel, said she wants to try it out with me! :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you're finally feeling better, Barbara! Also, wait to go with the resources available to us! I may need to try thing because I've been feeling exceptionally overwhelmed lately and a moment to just relax and breath would be a great thing. Who knows, maybe I'll try it with my TK'ers since they have been a little nuts lately! Hope you enjoyed your class with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the link, Barbara! Way to be resourceful and staying on top of your objective - learning new things. I have always envied my friends and others that do yoga. I think yoga is extremely challenging especially when I can't stop my mind from thinking. But who knows maybe these resources that you provided could help me!

    ReplyDelete